A Tribute to Womanhood

Welcome to "I Am Woman"...a tribute to all those women who had the courage and perseverance to stand up and fight for their rights. Thanks to those who came before us we enjoy a freedom unknown to women not too long ago. But, sadly, in many parts of the world, women continue to be repressed. In fact, even in this country there are women living today under the threat of violence...completely controlled by a violent spouse. Some may make it; others won't. Hopefully, one day ALL women will be free. May that day come soon.

6/10/2010

Domestic Violence


Several years ago, I took a certification course on "Victim Advocacy", and although the course centered on victims of all types of crimes, I was especially interested in learning about the victims of domestic violence.  Perhaps that is because for so many years I, myself, was a victim and still have a knot on my leg where I had been hit with a chair to remind me of those times. In creating this blog, I not only wanted a place to honor those women of great accomplishment that have come before us, but also raise awareness that not all women are free.  Women are still out there suffering, and it is important that we remain aware.  Maybe you have been a victim of abuse or maybe you are working or living near someone who is being abused.  It could be a family member, a friend, a co-worker.  Whoever you are, it is hoped that this series will help you to understand...to become more aware. Domestic violence should not happen to anyone...ever. 


Domestic violence is not about love; it is all about control over one person by another.  Partners may be married, or they may be unmarried...heterosexual, gay, lesbian, separated or just dating.  Anyone can become a victim regardless of age, sex, race, education, and marital status.  Abuse is physical, sexual, emotional, economic, and psychological.  It may include such behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, blame, or injure someone.  At any moment, any one of us can become a victim.  


As a counselor, I have had clients come to see me, beaten, battered, with blackened eyes and missing teeth.  I've also worked on the other side with the 'batterers' and have heard some horror stories what would make your hair stand on end.  This is a topic which is dear to me, and I hope  you will follow me along in this series.  


If you, or anyone you know, is being abused at the current time, here is the National Domestic Violence Hotline...1 (800) 7990-SAFE (7233)









No comments:

Post a Comment