A Tribute to Womanhood

Welcome to "I Am Woman"...a tribute to all those women who had the courage and perseverance to stand up and fight for their rights. Thanks to those who came before us we enjoy a freedom unknown to women not too long ago. But, sadly, in many parts of the world, women continue to be repressed. In fact, even in this country there are women living today under the threat of violence...completely controlled by a violent spouse. Some may make it; others won't. Hopefully, one day ALL women will be free. May that day come soon.

3/26/2013

Courage



Whether the way be dark or light 
My soul shall sing as I journey on,
    As sweetly sing in the deeps of night
         As it sang in the burst of the golden dawn.

    Nothing can crush me, or silence me long,
         Though the heart be bowed, yet the soul will rise,
    Higher and higher on wings of song,
         Till it swims like the lark in a sea of skies.

    Though youth may fade, and love grow cold,
         And friends prove false, and best hopes blight,
    Yet the sun will wade in waves of gold,
         And the stars in glory will shine at night.

    Though all earth's joys from my life are missed,
         And I of the whole world stand bereft,
    Yet dawns will be purple and amethyst,
         And I cannot be sad while the seas are left.

    For I am a part of the mighty whole;
         I belong to the system of life and death.
    I am under the law of a Great Central,
         And strong with the courage of love and faith.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox

1 comment: